Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pillow Talk















"There is no pillow soft as a clear conscience." -French Proverb

Alas. It's raining. It's cold. The forecast is not much better tomorrow, so why not a project idea? A few months ago after one too many viewings of "Project Runway" I got the itch to buy myself a sewing machine. It was one of those meant-to-be moments as the model I had my eye on was very on sale at Target the very day I happened to get the sewing bug. I didn't need much in terms of a machine. In fact, I had no training in this particular economic of the home, but I knew that I could do something as long as I had the basic tools. My hunch was correct. Since my lucky day at Target, I have sewn snuggies, doll bed bedding, aprons and, yes, pillows. The pillows have been a particular hit... which brings me to our rainy day project.

I had seen similar calendar pillows at my favorite local shop (that would be "Hunt and Gather" for those of you in Minneapolis). Armed with my trusty sewing machine, I was ready to make some. I went hunting and gathering vintage calendar tea towels of my own and was pleasantly surprised to find a good selection. The best sources proved to be etsy and ebay, though I have since come across them at local thrift and antique stores as well as at an occasion estate sale. Once the towel was in hand, I added an extra special touch by embroidering a little heart around the birthday (if I was giving this as a birthday gift) of the recipient. I also ordered a batch of vintage zippers to add to the pillows- why buy new when you don't have to, right? Pillow forms are plentiful at your local craft store. I go for the bamboo variety because we don't need to encourage more polyester production, do we?

So, for your next birthday, anniversary or teacher gift make a vintage calendar pillow. Have a ball searching for just the right design with just the right year. If that sounds like too much trouble all together, call me. I'd be happy to whip one up for you on my little sewing machine.

While we are on the subject of pillows, I came across a little gem a few weeks ago. If you live now or have ever lived in Ogden, Utah, this might be something you can't live without.

Enjoy!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46688728/vintage-ogden-utah-pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment