Monday, June 25, 2012

Nature's Canvas

"All art is but imitation of nature." - Lucius Anneus Seneca

My family spent 5 hours at the zoo yesterday.  Normally this kind of marathon would have tested me at my most patient, but amazingly all four of us were delighted and entertained the entire time.  The weather was lovely.  The spring babies were on view, and nature was absolutely thriving around us.

I spent a lot of time noticing the incredible and unexpected combinations Mother Nature has way of putting together.  Colors and textures blend together were you would normally not see them.  It really was overwhelming.

As an artist, I've been trying to put some thought behind the way I throw things together.  My gut has treated me very well to date, but incorporating something of a thought process is helping me take what I do to a new level.  I've been using some tools to help.  Some tools are old school: like the old fashioned color-wheel.  Some tools are modern: like my smart phone apps.



This picture was taken this morning when the girls and I encountered 2 baby raccoons.  I used the Sherman Williams Color Snap app to pull out a color palate from the picture.  I've seen a lot of these types of applications as well on Pinterest.  Handy & fun, I'd say!

Take time to smell and admire the roses.  Summer goes so fast, and the color palates during the winter are far more limited (at least here in Minnesota.)

No comments:

Post a Comment