Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Door to Adore

"Every wall is a door." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love working on special orders.  I love creating something for someone I know and love.  Last week I got to do a big project for some friends to celebrate both a birthday and a anniversary.  The challenge posed to me was to find a way to creatively display family photos.  I looked around the studio and found this:


A door.  I'd picked the door up after I recieved a text from a helpful neighbor that the home across the street from them had just place it on the curb with a "Free" sign on it.  The great thing about working with junk is that the possibilities are endless.  It's no longer a door, it's a blank canvas for me to create something new. 

I found some corks- glued them on one of the windows.  I dressed up some old clipboards with vintage wall paper and added scrabble tile names:


I added some clips, an old typewriter plate with magnets and painted some chalkboard paint.  I backed the family photos with some more of the wall paper.   The new family message center now leans proudly in the kitchen of its new home.


The next time you come across something discarded... try to look at it in a new way.  It likely has treasure burried somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment