Thursday, July 12, 2012

Many Hands Make Blue Cow

"A little and a little, collected together becomes a great deal; the heap in the barn consists of single grains." -Saadi

I've been posting a lot on Facebook about the community art project we've launched at Mish Mash.  I thought I'd take a few minutes here to give you all some updates and specifics about the project.

My neighbor, friend and local artist, Deb Traun has done a few of these projects.  Last year she made an american flag using hundreds of cut objects.  The flag was entered into the Edina Art Center contest and won.  The piece was then sold: quite an accomplishment for Deb! 

This year Deb came to me with the idea that we open up to the community, and I offered to open the studio here at Mish Mash to work on it.... and the games began.  We collected an army of young and old to begin cutting red, white and blue images to glue together as our flag.  As I was scouting for images, I came across this picture:



So, gears were switched and we found a new direction.  I took the orignal image, graphed it out, transferred it to a large canvas, and off we went filling in our graphic cow head.

One of the beautiful things about working on a piece as a community is that everybody brings their own ideas and their individual eye.  The trick is to stay flexible and just let it happen.

Community art will be happening again Tuesday, July 17th from 10-12.  We'd love to have your hands in the project!



No comments:

Post a Comment